Cathy Speers Johnson is a partner at Thompson Burton PLLC.
For more than 25 years, Cathy has represented clients across Middle Tennessee in matters of family law. She is a person of integrity, well-respected among her peers, and a proven advocate for her clients. Her exemplary approach to the practice of law makes her stand out in her field as one of the Best Lawyers in America(R) in the area of family law year after year since 2011, and she has earned a Martindale-Hubble (R) AV Preeminent rating. Cathy is also a divorce mediator and is certified in collaborative law.
Cathy understands that just as no two marriages are the same, no two divorces are the same. She has extensive experience representing clients with complex assets and complex issues, and she takes the time to learn about her clients’ lives and needs. Children, no children, step children, parenting time, parental relocation, child support adjustment – there are many factors to consider in a divorce or post-divorce action, and Cathy’s vast experience is a comfort to her clients. They know that she has the skill and knowledge to fully protect their interests, no matter how complex their individual situation may be.
Cathy has a strong client base that includes high profile individuals and clients of significant wealth. She has tailored her practice to strictly matters of family law, allowing her to take the time necessary to really focus on her clients, their issues and their needs. Divorce and the life changes that follow for the client and the children are usually incredibly stressful changes. Cathy believes in whole representation – representing her clients not just through the end of the deal, but being an advocate for her clients as they move on with their new life phase. Different does not have to be difficult, if you have the right advocate.
Cathy’s work environment and representation style is unique. She and her team are accessible, responsive, and are of the utmost integrity, holding all matters in the strictest of confidence.
Prior to joining Thompson Burton, Cathy practiced at Stites & Harrison PLLC in their Nashville office for 13 years and loved her time there.
Cathy is active in her community as a United Way Volunteer, ALS Fundraiser, and Woodmont Christian Church Member and Volunteer. Cathy has also been active in pro bono work for the Nashville Bar Association, taking cases that involved domestic abuse.
Cathy lives in Brentwood, Tennessee. She spends her free time with her husband, Jerry, and her children. She loves to travel and spend time with close friends.
• University of Alabama, J.D., 1994
–Bench and Bar Legal Society
–Nathaniel Hansford Service and Leadership Award
• Auburn University, B.A., 1991
–summa cum laude
–Phi Beta Kappa
• Tennessee Bar Association
• Georgia Bar Association
• Nashville Bar Association, Family Law Section
• Family Law: Breaking Up is Hard to Do, Nashville, March 2014
• Women – Well, Wealthy & Wise Guest Speaker, Richland Country Club, February 2014
• Family Law Hot Topics & Current Issues, Sterling Education Services, Inc., March 2013
• Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent
• Best Lawyers in America®, Family Law (2011-2021)
• Super Lawyers (2015-2021)
• American Institute of Family Law Attorneys – 10 Best Attorneys (2017)
• Top Ranking Attorney of American Association of Attorneys (2020)
• American Association of Attorney Advocates Top Ranking Family Law Attorney (2020)
• Best of the Best Top 10 Family Law (2020)
• Super Lawyers Top 100 Attorneys in Tennessee (2020)
• Super Lawyers Top 50 Female Attorneys in the Mid-South (2020)