Dave Mayer is a partner with Thompson Burton. Dave specializes in traditional estate planning for high-net-worth families and individuals, with a focus on complex trust drafting around estate and gift tax issues. Deeply involved in the intertwined legal and practical aspects of wealth preservation and transmission, Dave enjoys developing and implementing unique solutions to intricate problems, resolving intra-family disputes economically and sensitively, and providing practical advice for current and future generations.
Dave has considerable experience drafting a variety of wills, trust instruments, marital agreements, and other tax-efficient structures. His counsel encompasses pre- and post-death tax planning, the preparation of federal estate and gift tax returns, representing fiduciaries in probate and other estate administration, business entity formation, and the establishment of guardianships and conservatorships. He also represents several tax-exempt organizations with respect to formation, governance and administration issues, charitable gifting programs, and tax compliance.
Prior to joining Thompson Burton, Dave practiced with Bass, Berry & Sims PLC in Nashville. Dave earned his LL.M. in Taxation from New York University and his law degree from the University of Texas School of Law. He received a Master of Accountancy from Vanderbilt’s Owen Graduate School of Management and a Bachelor of Science degree in economics, engineering science, and mathematics from Vanderbilt University.
Dave is a CPA and, before practicing law, worked with Ernst & Young in New York performing audits and transaction advisory services for Fortune 500 financial services clients.
- New York University
- LL.M. in Taxation
- The University of Texas School of Law
- J.D. with Honors
- Vanderbilt University, Owen Graduate School of Management
- Vanderbilt University
- B.S., magna cum laude
- Estate Planning Council of Middle Tennessee
- Nashville Bar Association
- Florida Bar – Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Division
- Certified Public Accountant (Tennessee)
- Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch – Litigation -Trusts and Estates, The Best Lawyers in America (2023)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch – Nonprofit / Charities Law, The Best Lawyers in America (2023)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch – Tax Law, The Best Lawyers in America (2023)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch – Trusts and Estates Law, The Best Lawyers in America (2023)