John D. Bowers serves as Thompson Burton’s Chief Executive Officer. In this role, he is responsible for developing and implementing the Firm’s business strategy.
Prior to joining the Firm, John served in law firm executive roles with a tax and estates boutique in Nebraska as well as the largest intellectual property boutique in Tennessee. He brings years of law firm leadership in finance, technology, business development and marketing, facilities, attorney and staff recruitment, human resources and benefits operations. John’s career in the legal industry began in 2000 in the Accounts Payable Department of an American Lawyer 200 firm and he transitioned into progressively more consequential leadership roles on business development teams for Philadelphia-based firms including Fox Rothschild, Saul Ewing, Duane Morris, and Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis.
John is the proud husband to Sarah Jane and they live in Franklin together with their daughter and son.
- Moderator “Quiet Quitting Comp Comparisons Benefits? Oh MY!!” Tennessee Association of Legal Administrators Statewide retreat February 17 2023.
- Moderator, “The Office: Revisited,” Tennessee Association of Legal Administrators statewide retreat, February, 18, 2022.
- Interviewee, “Financial Controls for Law Firms: Accounting Policy” Legal Visionaries podcast, November 2, 2021.
- Co-Moderator, “Neurodiversity in the Courtroom: Supporting the Differently-Wired Brain,” Tennessee Bench/Bar Program, June 17, 2021.
- Presenter, “Law Firm Economics 101” National Association of Legal Secretaries Nashville Chapter, November 11, 2020.
- Moderator, “Great Minds Don’t Always Think Alike: Neurodiversity in the Practice of Law,” American Bar Association, August 18, 2020.
- Co-Moderator, “Great Minds Don’t Always Think Alike: Neurodiversity in the Practice of Law,” Nashville Bar Association, December 12, 2019.
- Panelist, “The New Legal Marketplace: Clients and the Competition,” LAWPACT international law firm network, November 3, 2017.
- Panelist, “Ask the Experts: Marketing,” ABA Law Practice Division Fall Meeting, October 22, 2015.
- Moderator, “How to Ask for New Business & Seal the Deal,” ABA Women Rainmakers, October 15, 2015.
- Quoted, “Get the Career You Want with a Professional Development Coach,” Connecticut Lawyer, July/August 2014.
- Panelist, “Discussing Big Data Opportunities with Firm Partners, from ‘No-Brainers’ to ‘Game Changers’,” American Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting, July 15, 2014.
- Co-Presenter, “What Your Lawyers Wish You Knew about Litigation,” LMA International Conference, April 8, 2013.
- Quoted, “Why Law Firm Marketers Don’t Like PR Firms,” Marketing the Law Firm, August 2012
- Panelist, “Developing a Book of Business: the First Steps to Success,” ABA Young Lawyers Division – Litigation Committee, March 30, 2012.
- Panelist, “Business Development,” ABA New Partner and In-House Counsel Conference, March 3, 2012.
- Co-Presenter, “Internal Communication Do’s and Don’ts in Crisis Situations,” ABA Law Practice Management Section and the ABA Center for CLE, May 21, 2009.
- Co-Presenter, “Define Your Event Strategy: Maximize Your Business Development Opportunities,” Law Marketing Day at ABA Midyear, February 9, 2007.
Interviewee, “ABA Law Practice Division: John Bowers and the Law Practice Magazine” The Digital Edge podcast, November 11, 2014.
- B.S. in International Business, Messiah College, 1999
- International Business Institute, 1998
Confronting Low Unemployment in Legal: Retain Good People
November/December 2022 Law Practice magazine
Resolving Client Complaints
July/August 2022 Law Practice magazine
Financial Wellness: Your Secret Stress Deterrent
November/December 2021 Law Practice magazine
Planning for Client Transitions Is Not Just for Solos
July/August 2021 Law Practice magazine
Solos and Small Firms: What’s Your Endgame?
June 15, 2021 Law Practice Today
Fighting Financial Fraud in Legal
March 2021 Law Practice magazine
Changing Tech and Managing Change: Pandemic Agility and Empathy
Jan 15, 2021 Law Practice magazine
Neurodiversity in the Practice of Law: Great Minds Don’t Always Think Alike
Nov 15, 2020 Law Practice magazine
10 Reasons You Should Hire a Nonlawyer Administrator
Sep 2, 2020 Law Practice
Billing Policy: The Humdrum Profitability Conundrum
May 1, 2020 Law Practice magazine
Nov 6, 2019 Law Practice
Smart Growth: Hiring Due Diligence
Sep 30, 2019 Law Practice
Neurodiversity: Disability Masking Caped-Ability
Sep 15, 2019 Law Practice Today
Smart Growth: Monitoring Productivity
Jul 31, 2019 Law Practice
Attorney-Led Client Surveying: Curbing the Pettifogger Coefficient
Oct 2016 Law Practice Today
Budgeting Shouldn’t be a Crisis
Sep 1, 2016 Law Practice
Life Beyond BigLaw: Why “SmallerLaw” is a preferred option for some.
Nov 2014 Law Practice
From the Social Media Trenches: A Roundtable Discussion
June 2012 Law Practice Today
Partner Advice for Newer Lawyers
May 2012 Law Practice Today
The Key to Business Development: Trusting Your Attorneys
Nov 2011 Strategies, Legal Marketing Association
“RFP” Is Not Acronymic For “New Found Revenue”
Aug 2011 Law Practice Today