John J. Hollins, Jr. is a partner at Thompson Burton. For more than 29 years, John has been a domestic relations trial attorney. After all that time, John remains just as passionate about his work.
Prior to joining the firm, John was president and managing partner at Hollins, Raybin & Weissman. While there, he resolved countless family law cases.
At Thompson Burton, John’s practice is devoted entirely to family law. John’s experience has taught him that litigation takes a toll on all parties involved. While litigation is a big part of his family law practice, he also prides himself in the ability to negotiate and mediate the vast majority of his cases.
In 2011, John published the book Surviving Divorce: A Lawyer’s Common Sense Guide To What You Should Know Before, During, And After A Divorce. The book is an easy-to-understand manual to help clients, family members and friends survive the trials and tribulations of divorce with their dignity intact.
When he’s not focusing on the law, John serves as a member and former Deacon at the First Presbyterian Church in Nashville. Since 2012, John has traveled each year to Mandeville, Jamaica on church-sponsored mission trips which have become an important part of his life. John also enjoys spending time with his wife of nineteen years, Laura, his twin daughters, Meredith and Emily, and his Boykin Spaniel dogs, Gracie and Tootsie. The entire family roots for the Auburn Tigers, the Tennessee Titans, and the Nashville Predators. They also enjoy running, biking, skiing, volleyball, basketball, rowing, bowling, fishing, hunting and clay target shooting.
- D., University of Tennessee at Knoxville, 1987
- A., Auburn University, 1984
JURISDICTIONS ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- Supreme Court of the State of Tennessee
- Best Lawyers in America in the field of Domestic Relations (2003 – Present)
- Martindale–Hubbell (Highest Rating: AV) (2000 – Present)
- Fellow in American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (2011 – Present)
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS
- Licensed Mediator, Family law, Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 (2013 – Present)
- Hearing Panel Member: Board of Professional Responsibility, Supreme Court of Tennessee (2000–2002)
- Board Member: Board of Professional Responsibility, Supreme Court of Tennessee (2003 – 2008)
- Board Member, Tennessee Clay Target Complex (2001 – Present)
- John Marshall American Inns of Court, Williamson County, Master (1998 – 2006)
BAR AND PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
- Listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” in the field of domestic relations (2003 – present)
- Listing in “The Mid–South Super Lawyers” Family Law Section (2008–present)
- Member of the Nashville Bar Foundation (2003–present)
- Barrister of the Tennessee John Marshal American Inn of Court, Williamson County, TN (1998)
- Nashville Bar Association (1987–present)
- Tennessee Bar Association (1987–present)
- American Bar Associations (1987–present)
- Tennessee Association for Justice (1987–present)
- Doe 1 ex rel. Doe 1 v. Roman Catholic Diocese of Nashville,154 S.W.3d 22 (Tenn.2005)(outrageous conduct claims against the Roman Catholic Diocese stemming from Catholic priest sexual molestation of adolescent boys).
- Biscan v. Brown, 160 S.W.3d 462 (Tenn. 2004) (adult host had duty to exercise reasonable care to protect minor guests and third persons from risks associated with drinking and driving and established the parameters of the Tennessee Dram Shop Act as it applies to social hosts).
- Solima v. Solima, No. M2008-00528-COA-R3-CV, 2008 WL 4963528 (Tenn.Ct.App. Oct. 17, 2008) (criminal contempt conviction for failure to abide by Parenting Plan Order).
- Berg v. Berg, No. M2013-00211-COA-R3-CV, 2014 WL 2931954 (Tenn.Ct.App. Feb. 19, 2014) (appeal from a final divorce decree wherein Wife took issue with several of the trial court’s financial decisions).
Continuing Legal Education Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- 2015 Tennessee Association for Justice CLE Presentation on “Rainmaking 101”
- 2014 Tennessee Association for Justice CLE Presentation on “Rainmaking 101”
- 2013 Tennessee Attorney’s Memo CLE Presentation on “How to Prepare Your Client for Depositions”
- 2012 Tennessee Association for Justice CLE Presentation on “How to Prepare Your Client for Depositions”
- 2011 Tennessee Attorney’s Memo CLE Presentation on “How to Identify and Avoid Unprofitable Family Law Cases”
- 2011 Tennessee Association for Justice CLE Presentation on “How to Mentally Prepare Your Client for Divorce”
- 2010 Tennessee Association for Justice CLE Seminar on “How to Identify and Avoid Unprofitable Family Law Cases”
- Chairman of Tennessee U.S. Senator Fred Thompson’s Celebrity Shoot which benefited various 501(c)(3) charities (1995–2000)
- Staff volunteer and fundraiser for election campaign of Tennessee U.S. Senator Fred D. Thompson, 1994 and 1996
- Board member of Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine (1997–2000)
- Member of the Tennessee Chapter of Ducks Unlimited (1995–Present)
- Member of Delta WaterFowl (2000–Present)
- Board member and 2003 honoree of the Iron Man charity fund raiser benefiting various 501(c)(3) charities (2000–2003)
- Deacon, First Presbyterian Church, Nashville, Tennessee (2008–2014)
- Habitat for Humanity home building projects (2010 – Present)
- Downtown Presbyterian Church homeless lunch program (2011 – Present)
- Chairman Delta Water Fowl Sporting Clay Tournament (2012 – Present)
- Tornado and Flood disaster relief in Huntsville, AL and Nashville, TN (2010)