John is a litigation partner at Thompson Burton with over 20 years of experience in business and liability litigation representing clients across diverse industries in state and federal courts and ADR. John’s litigation practice includes complex business disputes, real estate, employment matters, construction defects and premises liability. John also served as in-house litigation counsel for a national addiction treatment company based in Brentwood, Tennessee.
John is deeply involved in his community. He served on the Safe Haven Family Shelter Board of Directors from 2014-2022. During that time, he served as its Board President from 2017-2020 and general counsel from 2020-2022. He has also served on the Belmont University Alumni Board and continues to serve on Belmont University’s Friends of the Arts Board. John was also a member of the American Inns of Courts at the Belmont University College of Law where he served as the Programs Chair and led continuing legal education courses covering Lane v. State of Tennessee, cannabis law, and non-compete agreements and trade secrets.
- J.D. – University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee, 1997
- B.A. in Philosophy, Magna Cum Laude – Belmont University, 1994
- 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
John’s representative matters include:
- Representing a transgender employee in a discrimination lawsuit against Vanderbilt University;
- Representing homeowners in a claim against the Davidson County Metropolitan Government for violation of the downtown zoning regulations;
- Representing a homeowners’ association in claims against a developer for breach of the Tennessee Condominium Act and construction defects;
- Representing a top music executive in a breach of contract claim.
- Defending several individuals in defamation/SLAPP actions;
- Defending a national skilled nursing facility and a pain management company in Medicare/Medicaid fraud actions brought under the federal False Claims Act and the Tennessee Medicaid False Claims Act;
- Defending trustee in claims asserted by beneficiaries of a trust;
- Defending an auto repair company in claim for breach of a supply contract;
- Defending departing brokers and financial advisors in claims for breach of non-compete agreements, unfair competition and violation of trade secrets law;
- Representing national laboratory services provider in an action arising out of breach of a supply agreement;
- Defending bank in claims for breach of trustee’s fiduciary duties;
- Representing pedestrian who suffered catastrophic injuries when he was struck by a car;
- Defending robotics manufacturer against claims for defective design and installation of an automated welding system;
- Defending numerous Tennessee county governments and utilities under the Tennessee Governmental Tort Liability Act;
- Representing seller in claims for breach of a land purchase agreement, interference with business relationship and inducement to breach contract;
- Defending employer in products liability claim arising out of de-gloving/amputation injury;
- Representing large apartment complexes in an action against Metro Water for overcharges arising out of improper rate classification under the Metro Water billing scheme; and Defending 14 Tennessee counties in Lane v. State of Tennessee against claims that county courthouses were inaccessible to individuals with mobility disabilities in violation of the ADA.