Ronn Steen is a Partner at Thompson Burton PLLC.
Ronn’s practice specializes in bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, as well as complex commercial litigation and mortgage defense litigation. Ronn has extensive experience representing creditors in distressed loan situations including complex workouts, commercial and consumer bankruptcy representation, both for secured and unsecured loans, asset recovery, and judgment enforcement. His practice spans the creditors’ rights spectrum including representation of large financial institutions, community banks, bond trustees, real estate developers, asset-based lenders, and manufacturers. Ronn’s clients love his broad range of experience and practical advice and often comment that he is able to explain complex legal issues in understandable terms that afford the client the ability to make sound business decisions.
Ronn has written numerous articles regarding creditors’ rights issues and mortgage defense litigation issues, and he has appeared as a presenter on the lecture circuit discussing creditors’ rights and commercial landlord-tenant matters. Ronn maintains a Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Law Blog, where he blogs regularly about local and national commercial creditors’ rights issues.
Prior to joining Thompson Burton, Ronn was a Member at Stites & Harbison, PLLC, where he also co-chaired that firm’s Legal Ethics Committee, with oversight of the Nashville and Atlanta offices.
Ronn is also active in the community. He currently serves on the Advisory Board for the Nashville branch of Musicians On Call, a non-profit organization that provides live and recorded music to patients in healthcare facilities. Ronn has also served on the board of directors for Ten Thousand Villages Nashville and Youth, Inc. Ronn is also an alumnus of Young Leaders Council.
Ronn and his wife, Nicki, live in Nashville with their 3 children, Taylor, Sarah Katherine, and Nathan, and their dog, Zeke. Ronn enjoys Alabama Football, music, and backpacking. One of his bucket list items is to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. Ronn is a member of Brentwood Hills Church of Christ in Nashville.
• Representation of both: (i) national, regional and community banks; and (ii) corporate and individual borrowers/guarantors in the workout, modification, restructuring and foreclosure of hundreds of troubled loans involving major residential and commercial real estate projects located throughout the Southeast.
• Representation of sellers and purchasers in portfolio sale of REO properties, including thousands of residential lots and homes located throughout the Southeast.
• Representation of national REIT in the acquisition, disposition, and leasing of numerous industrial properties across the Southeast.
• Representation of lender in acquisition of loan portfolio from the FDIC.
• Representation of national lender in numerous distressed financial transactions across Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia.
• Representation of lenders in the purchase and sale of loan portfolios.
Ronn is a graduate of The University of Alabama School of Law (’96), and Lipscomb University (’92). Ronn is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and has been selected as a Super-Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine (2008-2013) and named as “A Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America (2009-2013). In addition to those accolades, Ronn has long served as a member of the board of directors for The Mid-South Commercial Law Institute, and was President of that organization in 2012.
• AV-Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
• Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine
• Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine
• Best Lawyer, The Best Lawyers in America
• “Complying with the Tennessee Home Loan Protection Act,” co-authored with Richard A. Vance, Consumer Finance Law Quarterly Report, Vol. 61, No. 4, Winter 2007.
• “Lenders Must Tell Insurer About Foreclosure,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, Vol. 4, No. 3, April 2008.
• “A Bankruptcy Case that Resembles a Hollywood Movie Plot,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, Vol. 8, No. 2, February/March 2012.