Walt Burton is a founding partner at Thompson Burton PLLC.
As a commercial real estate attorney, Walt has extensive experience representing developers, investors, and lenders in a diverse range of commercial real estate transactions, including industrial, office, multi-family, and retail projects. His practice includes real estate finance, acquisition, disposition, development, and leasing. Walt’s clients love his broad range of experience and often comment that he has a perspective and eye for detail that is unmatched in the industry. Walt’s real estate skills were sharpened during his more than 6 years of practice with Atlanta based international law firm Troutman Sanders LLP, where he worked on numerous real estate and corporate transactions.
Walt has written dozens of articles regarding commercial real estate and currently maintains a Commercial Real Estate Law Blog where he blogs about local and national commercial real estate issues. Walt is also a guest columnist for the Nashville Business Journal.
Walt was selected as part of the Georgia Bar’s YLD Leadership Academy for 2010. In 2012, the University of Tennessee College of Law recognized Walt as one of the Top Ten Alumni Ten Years Out. Walt was selected as a Mid-South Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine for 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, and recently made the Nashville Business Journal’s 2014 Top 40 Under 40.
Walt is active in the community and currently volunteers for the Land Trust for Tennessee.
Walt and his wife, Melissa, live in Nashville with their 6 year old son, Liam, and 2 year old son, Jeb. Walt enjoys spending weekends at his family farm in Lincoln County, Tennessee. Prior to attending law school, Walt served as a Lieutenant in the weapons department onboard the USS SHILOH (CG-67), based in San Diego, California.
- Lead representation of real estate investment fund in connection with $125 million acquisition of approximately 14 acre “Lifeway Campus” and related assemblage and development in downtown Nashville, Tennessee.
- Representation of investor in connection with $55 million acquisition of portfolio of 925 multi-family apartment units in East Tennessee.
- Representation of national healthcare provider in $10 million disposition of 4 property multi-state portfolio of imaging centers.
- Representation of investment fund in the $19 million acquisition of multi-state portfolio of 4 industrial properties.
- Representation of national, regional and community banks in the workout, modification, restructuring and foreclosure of hundreds of troubled loans involving major residential and commercial real estate projects located throughout the Southeast and Midwest.
- Representation of a national quick-service restaurant in the acquisition and ground leasing of hundreds of properties for new store development.
- Representation of national REIT in the acquisition, disposition, and leasing of numerous industrial properties across the Southeast.
- Representation of buyers and sellers of numerous multi-family properties across Tennessee and Georgia.
- U.S. real estate counsel for international internet infrastructure solutions company.
- Representation of sellers and purchasers in portfolio sale of REO properties, including thousands of residential lots and homes located throughout the Southeast.
- Representation of regional lender in numerous lending transactions across the Midwest and Southeast.
- Representation of national lender in numerous lending transactions across Tennessee.
- Representation of homebuilder in development of numerous subdivisions.
- Representation of lenders in the purchase and sale of loan portfolios (including FDIC transactions).
- Representation of national lender in acquisition and ground leasing for the development of dozens of financial service centers in Virginia, Maryland, and DC.
- Representation of REIT in the $134.7 million acquisition of 38-story, 774,000 square foot office tower Promenade II, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Representation of a national office/retail developer in the acquisition and development of “lifestyle centers” in Murfreesboro, Tennessee (811,000 square feet), Gwinnett County, Georgia (385,000 square feet), and Forsyth County, Georgia (545,000).
- Representation of a national cellular company in its acquisition and leasing of hundreds of ground, tower and rooftop space for cellular communications facilities.
- University of Tennessee, J.D., 2005
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Tennessee Law Review
- Vanderbilt University, B.S., 1998
- cum laude
- “Signs of the Times: You Can Get What You Want!”, ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference, October 2014
- “What Increased e-commerce means for brick-and-mortar stores,” Nashville Business Journal, April 1, 2014
- “The Shopping Truck Trend: Real Estate on Wheels,” Nashville Business Journal, October 23, 2013
- “Adaptive Reuse: Repurposing Nashville Commercial Real Estate,” September 4, 2013
- “Nashville’s Use of Tax Incentives is Working,” Nashville Business Journal, July 29, 2013
- “Preserving Nashville’s Green Space (While Saving on Taxes),” Nashville Business Journal, July 3, 2013
- “The Amp bus system could change the Face of West End,” Nashville Business Journal, July 11, 2013
- “The Argument for More Density in Nashville’s Intown Neighborhoods,” Nashville Business Journal, May 23, 2013
- “Is Nashville’s Brand What we Want it to Be?,” Nashville Business Journal, May 7, 2013
- “Avoid this Costly Mistake When Signing Leases and Other Documents,” Nashville Business Journal, April 23, 2013
- “You Don’t Have to Pick Your Poison: Foreclosure, Deficiency Judgments, and other Collection Strategies in Georgia,” Georgia Real Property Law Section Newsletter, Summer 2009.