Real estate developers, owners and operators of commercial properties and real estate lenders rely on A.J. Reed to get deals closed. Responsive and an aggressive advocate for the interests of the clients he represents, A.J. thrives on providing practical solutions to unique and complex challenges. His extensive experience includes commercial real estate development and finance, retail and healthcare leasing, government zoning issues, build-to-suit retail and commercial projects and construction contracting. He has also represented municipal governments and major private developers on urban renewal projects.
Representing a regional real estate development company, A.J. provided counsel in more than 100 retail build-to-suit transactions with a national tenant. He also represents developers and holding companies in the acquisition of real property, zoning and permitting issues, lease negotiation, construction contracts, development financing, permanent conduit financings and the disposition of real estate portfolios. Prior to joining Waller in 2014, A.J. was a member of Spragins, Barnett & Cobb, PLC in Jackson, Tenn and also served as Associate City Attorney for the City of Jackson. In this role, he handled a wide array of municipal law issues including land use matters, condemnation, annexation, contracting and the use of federal and state funds.
Best Lawyers recognizes A.J. for his work in Real Estate.
- Managed all legal aspects of multi-site facility acquisitions, construction, financing, leasing and sale-leaseback deals for a healthcare services provider.
- Represented a regional operation of nursing homes in facility acquisitions, incentive financing and multi-entity ownership structuring.
- Represented a regional real estate development company in more than 100 retail build-to-suit transactions with a national tenant and provided counsel on the acquisition of real property, zoning and permitting issues, lease negotiation, construction contracts, development financing, permanent conduit financings and the disposition of real estate portfolios.
- Represented local, regional and national financial institutions in commercial real estate and business financings.
- Represented a health system in the implementation of a hospital campus expansion including the assembly and acquisition of more than 50 separately owned parcels of land and the construction of new healthcare facilities.
- Advised an international entertainment company in connection with its real estate holdings and expansion plans in Memphis, Tenn.
- In connection with the redevelopment of the Pyramid and Mid-South Fairgrounds assisted the City of Memphis on matters related to constitutional law, zoning law, real estate law and municipal law.
- J.D., University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, 2006
- 2004 Moot Court Best Oral Advocate Award
- Memphis Tax Law Council
- Christian Legal Society
- B.S., Union University, Accounting, 2003
- Member, Memphis, Tennessee, Mississippi and American Bar Associations
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Howell Edmunds Jackson American Inns of Court
- Member, Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis, LLP, Nashville, Tenn., 2014-2017
- Member, Spragins, Barnett & Cobb, PLC, Jackson, Tenn., 2010-2014
- Associate, Glankler Brown, PLLC, Memphis, Tenn., 2006-2009
- Trust Officer, Morgan Keegan Trust, Memphis, Tenn., 2004-2006